Happy 2017! This has been a pretty decent reading year, filled with rereads and new discoveries! Definitely looking forward to reading more this year and branching out with the books I read. Thanks to Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner for hosting this!
Number Of Books You Read: 80
Number of Re-Reads: 21 – this was the year of rereads!
Genre You Read The Most From: Surprisingly historical or science fiction…
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Contemporary – I, um, didn’t read that much contemporary this year, so Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay (I don’t consider all my Jennifer Crusie novels contemporary)
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Not sure if they count, but either All Fall Down by Ally Carter or Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard.
Historical Fiction – Surprisingly read several books that I’d consider historical fiction, but I’m gonna go with Passenger by Alexandra Bracken.
Paranormal — The Vampire Academy series. How have I not read these books until now?!
Science Fiction — Illuminae and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (briefing note: I have not quite finished Gemina as of today, 1/3/17)
Fantasy – I didn’t read a lot of fantasy this year either, but I’m gonna say The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Winter by Marissa Meyer. I just didn’t love this one and it broke my heart a little bit because Winter (the character) is awesome. And Jacin is dreamy. And the situation is dire. Unfortunately the book fell into the True Blood trap and I just found myself not caring because they were not focusing on
Sookie and Bill Winter and Jacin enough.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. (I legit just realized that I love all three of these authors so why was this book surprising to me?) I really was unsure about this one at the beginning and wasn’t really wanting to finish, but it ended up being such a great read!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I am not a pushy reader, but I did talk about The Chaos Walking series quite a lot this year (before the movie news came out). I also kindly suggested Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst to quite a few people this year. OH! and 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn’t Quit by Nicki Koziarz.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
I did a lot of series rereading this year, mostly so I could catch up on the last books of series that came out this year.
Starter: All Fall Down by Ally Carter – definitely a one day read! Maybe also The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye.
Sequel: The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson – I had to reread the first in this series so I could catch up on the next two. Definitely became a new favorite fantasy series of mine!
Ender: The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson. Told you… favorite new series!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Jennifer Crusie – I have read SO many of her books this year! Like I seriously cannot get enough of them.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Illuminae – I don’t usually read science fiction. Not because I dislike it, but because it’s just not a genre I gravitate to. This one was crazy strange, but oh so good!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Heart of Betrayal/The Beauty of Darkness – I was able to put these down but my mind didn’t leave them!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Truthfully…. probably none of them. Not that they aren’t worth a re-read, I just don’t see myself reading any of them again. MAYBE All Fall Down and See How They Run by Ally Carter before I read the final book.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Lada Dragwlya from And I Darken by Kiersten White. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that this was my most memorable character…
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Lizzie and Jane by Katherine Reay. I really loved this one… first 5 star book in a while!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. While this is TECHNICALLY a book on dieting and such, it got me through a really tough situation when I read it.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Like, seriously? How did I manage NOT to read this sooner?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
Believe it or not I didn’t save any quotes this year. I know, I know… quotes are totally my thing. But this year I read to read, not to make endless lists of my favorite quotes. However, since I reread the Narnia books this year, I will say I revisited some of my all time favorites!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: 100 Hugs @ 72 pages (don’t judge… I needed a book of hugs this year)
Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix @ 870 pages (really? Definitely didn’t feel like 870 pages!)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Winter by Marissa Meyer. I was shocked by how much I didn’t like it.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I still don’t do OTP stuff… but I will say one of my favorite relationships of all time is Shasta/Corin and Aravis from The Horse and His Boy. However, this year I did like a couple good ones… Cate and Fin from The Cahill Witches Chronicles and Lia and Rafe from the Remnant Chronicles.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The Pevensies. Y’all, I love the Pevensies so hard. They’re my favorite. Also, Apollo and Meg from The Hidden Oracle. Very cute!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
All Fall Down by Ally Carter. I really love her books… they’re cute but not fluffy cute.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I don’t think anyone really recommended a book to me this year… or rather, I didn’t take anyone up on their recommendations. I will say that I read My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows mostly because some of my reading friends seemed to enjoy it!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Jacin from Winter by Marissa Meyer. Just because I didn’t like the book doesn’t mean I didn’t love sexy Jacin. Just saying.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Maybe The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye? That may be the only debut I read this year.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Embassy Row series by Ally Carter, Cahill Witches Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Totally gonna say The Vampire Academy series. All 10 of them. 12? There was a ton of them and each one was as much fun as the last!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
Way too many of the books I read this year made me cry and I don’t really feel like listing that many!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I don’t know if I’d call it a true “hidden gem” because maybe with Christian Non-Fiction readers it’s a huge book, but for me 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn’t Quit by Nicki Koziarz was a beautiful gem that I’m really glad I discovered!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Look, a lot of things crushed my soul this year, so I tried super duper hard to stay away from books that would crush my soul. Perhaps in 2017 my soul will be okay enough to be crushed.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
My Lady Jane.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye for reasons I won’t go into.
I didn’t blog in 2016 sooooo…. 🙂