Hi all! Welcome to my part of the Gayle Forman Read-Along, hosted by Brittany @ The Book Addict’s Guide!
So how’s everyone’s reading going? Are you LOVING If I Stay?!
In case you missed them, here are If I Stay Week 1 Questions (plus my answers)
- What was your initial reaction to the accident? Did you have an OMG moment? TOTALLY did! I think the thing that got me was when Mia saw he dad’s brains (sorry, but I was completely shocked by this!) I think by showing a normal happy family in a normal happy situation in the first bit of the book made the accident even more shocking, especially since we really didn’t see it coming. My initial reaction was “Wait… what? No… really? OMG are they okay? No? Nooooooo!”
- Adam and Mia are about as opposite as can be. Based on what you’ve read so far, what do you feel makes them such an intense couple? I think it’s their opposites that do make them intense. They’re both very passionate about their own music and personalities, so these two things combining just make it all the more intense. Everything is a challenge, but in a good way – those challenges open them up to expand their circle of thought and to new ideas. Sometimes a relationship is about these things and when they work, it only increases the intensity of it.
- Mia is watching what is happening to her in the hospital. How do you think she is handling it? Do you think her reactions to everything is natural or is it something else? I think she’s basically in shock, which seems like she’s handling it pretty well. But it’s almost like if you read between the lines you see that inwardly, she’s freaking out. She’s alone, her family is dead, and she has no idea what is going on. I think the shock she’s going through only protects her from the extreme panic that could have set in.
- We’re introduced to Mia’s family before and after the accident, who is a group of varied individuals. Have you developed a favorite yet? If so, why? What makes that person special to you? My favorite, hands down, is her grandfather. I don’t know what it is about older, stoic and quiet men that make me feel so good (not in a gross way). Maybe because it reminds me of my dad. Having already read this one though, I think that’s why I’m so drawn to her grandfather. I also LOVE her dad! I love how quirky and funny he is, how he tries to be this hip, cool guy when he’s really just a nerdy teddy bear.
- We ended this week’s reading on one of the sexiest scenes ever. What was your reaction to this? Cigarette? Cold shower? Sneaking ahead to read more? As I said up there I’ve already read this one… but not really read; I listened to the audio. Lemme tell you… that scene, while hot reading it, was SMOKING listening to it! I don’t care how weird it was; the intimate touching and eyes closed and… whew I am getting the vapors just thinking about it!
Alright! So! Week 2 Questions
- Shortly after Kim arrives at the hospital, she goes to the hospital chapel to pray. How does this scene fit in with who she is?
- In the pages we’ve read Mia begins to realize that it’s up to her if she wants to stay. What’s hard about this decision? Based on what you know so far, talk about where you think she’s at mentally and what her reaction to this knowledge might be.
- Mia’s parents are definitely different than she is. How do you think their personalities affect Mia?
- The Halloween scene is one of my favorites – what do you think is significant about this particular scene in terms of Mia and Adam’s relationship?
- Mia desperately wants Adam and Kim to be friends, but it’s just not happening for them. Was it surprising to you to see Kim and Adam come together in the hospital? What are your thoughts on this?
Yay! Now for something new. You might have noticed that on the past two posts that I had a Mr. Linky link for you to link up your posts… I don’t really like that because responders aren’t visible on this post. Soooo instead of doing that, just leave a comment with a link to your own post. That way we can all see your links and go check out your answers! Feel free to link Week 1 and/or Week 2 here – just specify which you’re linking!
Also, don’t forget to link up so you can win a prize!!!