Best In Books 2012
1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
Adult fiction: Didn’t read much of it this year, but I just finished Size 12 Isn’t Fat and LOVED it! I now want to dive into the rest of the Heather Wells series!
Contemporary YA: Jellico Road, Saving Francesca, and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. Seriously, this is like the holy trifecta of YA literature. I cannot recommend these books enough! Also all the Jennifer Echols books I read this year… can’t believe I’ve never gotten to her books until now!
Dystopian YA: This seemed to be the year for seconds in Dystopian series. I’ll have to say Fever and Pandemonium. Seriously, both were amazing follow-ups to the first books in their respected series.
Sci-fi/supernatural/paranormal-ish: Oh wow, how do I narrow it down?! The Chaos Walking series FOR SURE!, Ashes, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, The Immortal Rules, Something Strange and Deadly… seriously, there are like a billion good ones
Fantasy: Again, HOW DO I NARROW THIS DOWN?! Fire, Grave Mercy, Throne of Glass, Defiance, Finnikin of the Rock, Daughter of Smoke and Bone
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Dreamless by Josephine Angelini – seriously didn’t love it as much as I had hoped! Still excited for the rest of the series, but this one didn’t cut it for me. The Fault In Our Stars – I enjoyed it, just not as much as I wanted to.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? A Monster Calls, If I Stay, and The Book Thief. Didn’t expect to react the way I did to these books!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012? Fire. I’m recommending it right now. GO READ IT PEOPLE! Also Texas Gothic. I’m pretty sure I told everyone they had to read it!
5. Best series you discovered in 2012? The Graceling series, The Chaos Walking series, Iron Fey series, Heist Society series… I discovered a LOT of series this year!
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012? Sarah J. Mass, Rebecca Serle, Susan Dennard, Lauren Merrill
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? Ashes – it wasn’t so much out of my comfort zone as it was a book that I was very WTF over. Also Starters – this one was WAAAY out of my comfort zone and I totally loved it! Oh! And Cinder! I was so hesitant about it. Robot Cinderella? Yeah, not for me, but this book was FANTASTIC!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012? Throne of Glass, Grave Mercy… Grave Mercy especially. These were both awesomely great. Also Such a Rush. I didn’t stop once reading it!
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year: Definitely Throne of Glass, maybe Grave Mercy. Fire.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012? Hands down, this:
11. Most memorable character in 2012? Celanea Sardothian – I pretty much fangirled over her for days!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012? Oh, there were SO many! Tiger Lily, Sea of Tranquility, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, just to name a few!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? Saving Francesca. I think my review of it can tell you why.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? The Chaos Walking books. Granted I’d just heard of them in 2012, but still. If I’d heard of the sooner, they would have been mine!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? There’s waaay too many to have a favorite, but here’s 3 I like:
“It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can’t see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.
She will not be simple and sweet. She will not be what people tell her to be. That Bunny Rabbit is dead.” – The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks
“The world is upside down and everything is shit and my life has been cleaved and there are two different Lenas running parallel to each other, the old and the new, and they will never, ever be whole again.” – Pandemonium
“What about you Kate Connolly? Puck Connolly?”
The way he says it, I feel certain he misremembered intentionally, because he liked the weight of the words when he said my name twice, and that makes me warm and nervous and agreeable. – The Scorpio Races
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? Shortest: Where She Went. I think I finished that one off in less than 3 hours. Longest: The Diviners. This one was a BEAST, but oh so good!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! This scene from Goddess Interrupted. I SWEAR I held my breath the entire book until this scene and when it came up I literally said “Oh, thank God,” out loud!
Without the blankets, the room was cold, and I shivered. The mattress shifted underneath me, and Henry wrapped his arm around me and pressed his chest against my back. He was warm, and his hand searched until he found mine.
“Please don’t leave,” he said, and his lips brushed against my neck. I trembled again, but this time for an entirely different reason.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc). Katerina and Hale from the Heist Society series. I LOVE their relationship, how it’s just easy and fun and flirty without being overtly sexual and over the top. Definitely a favorite!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously. Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore. I had read The Splendor Falls the year before and enjoyed it, but Texas Gothic was the bomb. I LOOOVED it!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else: If I Stay. I did the audiobook of this, but was pushed to check it out by my Selective Collective pals! SO glad I did
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? Definitely The Book Addict’s Guide! Brittany has become one of my blogging besties! Most of the blogs I’ve found since blogging have been found this year, due to starting late last year, but she’s been totally awesome! Another great one has been Teen Lit Rocks where more of my blogging besties… er, blog. Sandie and Diana asked me months ago to be part of their Confessions of a YA Junkie and the rest is history!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? I’d say it’s a 3 way tie between Fire, The Book Thief and Throne of Glass. But, hands down, my FAVORITE post of the year has to be my Top Ten Tuesday post about the ten books I’d save in when the zombiepocalypse comes.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog? I think the one I had about coming out of the blogging closet. There were lots of great thoughts and comments left on it and I really felt better after putting the question out there to others about telling people IRL you’re a book blogger!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog? Probably anything on the blog Coffee and Wizards! Meghan can come up with some great thought-provoking discussions!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? I participated in Armchair BEA this year, which was fun. I also did a few blog tours and a cover reveal, which were fun!
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012? Not so much blogging, but kind of related: Meg Cabot followed me on Twitter. MEG CABOT, Y’ALL!!!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? By views it was my review of The Book Thief. By comments it was a Top Ten Tuesday where I listed the top ten books whose covers didn’t match the story.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? I think all of them really… most of my posts could use a little more love!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? That NetGalley books don’t expire on my Kindle. I HATED that they’d expire before I could read them and felt like I was a) missing out on these great books I had requested and publishers so kindly let me read and b) doing a disservice to the publishers by not reading and reviewing them. So when I discovered my Kindle doesn’t delete them, I was overjoyed!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Blah, no! But look… it’s not my fault. Well, not really. I participated in the YA Mythology Challenge, which I thought was TOTALLY up my alley. And it was! But one of the books I chose was just not good. I couldn’t make it through even a quarter of it! The other book… well, I bought it. Does that count?
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013? ONE book? There’s a whole bookshelf of books I didn’t get to this year!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013? Requiem and Sever. I’m ready to see how these series end!!!
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013? Branch out a little more, become more involved in the blogging world, perhaps buy my domain? (Is that what it’s called? Maybe I should figure that out before I try to do it…)
Hope everyone has a happy happy New Year! Here’s to 2013 bloggy friends!